Happy Sunday, my brilliant blogoneers! The last several days here at casa de Claire have been productive, fun, and duh-licious. My in-laws are here visiting and helping us redo our kitchen. We’re raising cabinets, putting up backsplash, and robbing Home Depot blind, all while eating well and drinking a shitload of Maker’s Mark margaritas and Kung Fu Girl.
No, it unfortunately does NOT come with my face on it, but it’s damn good wine, nonetheless.
Once our kitchen is complete, I’ll be sure to showcase the new space at which all my culinary creations will be born! Appliances get installed July 5th, so between that and Denver the next post is set!
Today’s post is all about this kickass coconut curry recipe I found via Pinterest. I get about 90% of my recipes from either Pinterest or my girls at JC101 (see previous posts). The other 10% are those gems passed down from generation to generation, like my grandmother’s Polish sausage recipe I’ll be sure to make one of these days.
Aaaanyway, I’ve been searching for the better part of this decade for a curry recipe that is f***ing bomb and doesn’t require 637 steps and obscure ingredients to make. I’ve tried a fairly wide range of different types of curry, too: red, green, yellow, Indian, Japanese, Thai… this recipe is the best medley of simplicity, deliciousness, and authenticity I’ve yet to come across and replicate with relative success. According to someone in the Comments section of this recipe and a 2-minute Google investigation, this curry is similar to Kashmiri curry but is easier to make. You could incorporate other spices like coriander and clove if you’re so inclined, but the KISS version is today’s feature and tastes GREAT.
I’ve tried this recipe with beef as well, but my husband and I both like the chicken better. You could do any kind of protein that’s about to rot in your fridge, really, or if you’re not into that eating corpses thing just leave it out. Versatility’s the name of the game in this recipe, so go nuts! I’m going to explain this recipe as if we’re using chicken, but the images are from when we tried it with the beef. I like to be confusing. You’re welcome.
Get yourself a diced yellow onion, three minced garlic cloves (we’re Italian, so we like moar gahrlic), any chopped vegetables you’d like to throw in (I prefer cauliflower, red and yellow peppers, and carrots), two pounds of chicken tits, cut into 1/2 inch chunks, a can of coconut milk (I always use full fat), a can of diced tomatoes (I like fire roasted), a can of tomato paste, curry powder (nothing fancy), sugar, salt, pepper, and vegetable oil, though I used olive since I’m out and don’t give a f***.
First, salt and pepper your chicken tits and set aside. Then get a big ol’ skillet and set that shit on medium-high heat, get a bowl and mix the oil and curry powder together till you get a paste. Pour that pasty mess into the preheated pan and let it heat up for a minute. After a minute, add the garlic and onion and mix till evenly dispersed. Cook for one minute.
Mix your vegs in and cook those for a minute.
Mix in your seasoned tits, reduce heat to medium, and cook that for seven to ten minutes or until the meat’s basically cooked, stirring occasionally.
Dump the coconut milk, both tomato cans, and sugar into this sizzling, aromatic receptacle of recipe regalia, stir to combine, and set to simmer. Put a lid on it and let it do its magic for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pro Tip: I set a timer for 20 minutes, then when that dings I get going on my rice so everything’s done punctually. Jasmine rice is my personal fave, so I get that going in the Instant Pot.
What do I do for twenty minutes, you ask?
Once time is up, presto! It’s feeding time, friends. I like to throw fresh cilantro on top as well, as it provides a palate-cleansing touch I found the original recipe lacking.
Pro Tip: From start to finish this recipe takes me about an hour and a half. All the chopping, dicing, and mise en place-ing takes me a grip, but I’m not a professional. It’s worth it, but if you’re just slightly above Joe-Schmoe status like me, make sure you have snacks if you embark on this culinary quest hungry. This ain’t no 30-Minute Meal, and I’m no Rachel Ray.
In case you missed it because you were too enthralled with my writing, the recipe can be found here.
That’s all for this week’s installment, blognarians! Stay hydrated. ❤
Try this recipe?
Have amazing kung fu skillz you’d like to share?
Questions regarding my sanity?
Leave a Reply! I’d love to hear from you!